Month: December 2019

Month: December 2019

first_imgHere’s the top transfer-related stories in Tuesday’s newspapers…Manchester United will press on with a £240million pursuit of Barcelona’s Brazilian superstar Neymar — and want him to be the global face of the club. (The Sun)Meanwhile, Red Devils boss Louis van Gaal  has been told by Real Madrid that Welsh star Gareth Bale is not for sale at any price. (Daily Mail)Chelsea are determined to land Juventus star Paul Pogba in a £70million deal before the window shuts. Blues bosses have become worried by the midfield partnership of Nemanja Matic and Cesc Fabregas, with the defending champions conceding seven goal in their opening three Premier League games. (Evening Standard)Arsene Wenger is plotting a stunning late move for Paris Saint-German’s, with the Gunners still desperate to sign a top class striker this summer. (Daily Mirror)Despite halting a move for former QPR midfielder Joey Barton last week, West Ham are planning to resurrect the deal, with Chelsea winger Victor Moses also a target as Slaven Bilic looks to add wide options to his side. (Evening Standard)The Hammers’ bid to sign Emmanuel Adebayor on loan from Tottenham is also back on. Spurs are prepared to pay a significant portion of his wages to get him out of White Hart Lane. (Daily Mirror)And here’s the latest talkSPORT.com headlines…MANCHESTER UNITED:West Ham target season loan move for Man United starlet Adnan JanuzajBarcelona boss Luis Enrique tight lipped over Neymar to Manchester United rumoursMan United blow! Thomas Muller not for sale, insists Bayern Munich directorAjax goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen rules out replacing David De Gea at Manchester UnitedWest Brom target Manchester United defender Jonny Evans as Joleon Lescott is told he can leaveLIVERPOOL:Mario Balotelli set to seal AC Milan switch after Liverpool agree to pay part of striker’s wagesBlow for Liverpool! Inter Milan leading chase for Anfield-linked LavezziTOTTENHAM:Tottenham target Saido Berahino chased by 15 clubs, claims West Brom boss Tony PulisWest Brom reject transfer request by Saido Berahino amid Tottenham linksOTHER:Exclusive – Kop idol Jamie Carragher urges John Stones to reject Chelsea and stay at EvertonKevin De Bruyne: Bayern Munich rule out rivalling Manchester City for £50m-rated Belgian starArsenal and Chelsea set to miss out as Serie A side Bologna close on £5m starletWest Ham transfer news: Juventus striker Simone Zaza lined up for Upton Park loan switchEverton and West Ham chase Roma forward Juan IturbeFormer Swansea midfielder Jonathan de Guzman close to Sunderland loan moveClaudio Ranieri: In-from Leicester star Riyad Mahrez not for sale at any priceNorwich will not sell Lewis Grabban to ‘direct rivals’ after two Bournemouth bidsBEST OF SOCIAL MEDIA:Arsenal blow! Karim Benzema rubbishes exit rumours claiming Real Madrid is his ‘home’last_img read more


Month: December 2019

first_imgOlivier Giroud was the subject of booing from French fans on Monday night as he failed to perform on international duty.France beat Serbia 2-1 in a friendly thanks to a double from Blaise Matuidi, but Giroud missed several good opportunities in the match before being replaced after 62 minutes.The man who took his place on the pitch was ex-Arsenal target Karim Benzema, which supporters found amusing, and Gooners are still divided about having Giroud as their only orthodox centre forward.His poor showing against Serbia reignited the debate about his usefulness at the Emirates, despite him scoring a pretty credible 19 goals in 36 matches last season.See what Arsenal fans are saying about Olivier Giroud below… Olivier Giroud is replaced by Karim Benzema 1last_img read more


Month: December 2019

first_img1 Manchester City striker Wilfried Bony has confirmed that he did contract malaria in the summer.Bony was absent from City’s pre-season tour of Australia and Vietnam and, at the time, the club did not reveal the full reason, other than to say that it was due to illness. The former Swansea City forward has now explained that it was a battle with malaria that meant he could not travel with the squad.Manager Manuel Pellegrini mentioned it in a press conference this week, as he spoke about Bony’s various injury and illness problems, and the 26-year-old has spoken about his condition.He said: “I got malaria from Africa when I was coming back but I am okay now.”Bony was speaking after scoring twice in the Barclays Premier League leaders’ 5-1 win over Bournemouth at the Etihad Stadium.It was a welcome return to form for the forward having struggled to make an impact since his £25million move from Swansea in January.Bony’s debut was first delayed by his involvement in the African Nations Cup and he has since also been hampered by injuries.He now intends to make up for lost time.He said: “I feel I have turned the corner. I have had a lot of injuries and been sick, and feel that is all away from me now.“I just want to do my job, do my best in training and score when I get my chance in the match. Every striker is happy when he scores, especially when the team wins.” Manchester City striker Wilfried Bony reveals contracting malaria in the summer last_img read more


Month: December 2019

first_img1 Riccardo Montolivo Liverpool and Tottenham target Riccardo Montolivo is ready to end talk of a move away from AC Milan by signing a new deal.The midfielder has been linked with the Premier League duo in the past and there was talk they may reignite their interest this January.The Italian’s agent, Giovanni Branchini, revealed after the summer transfer window that clubs had been in for his client but all offers were rejected.And now, according to Calciomercato, Montolivo is ready to fully commit his future to Milan by signing a new contract.The 30-year-old has been captain of the club since the summer of 2013 and is reportedly very settled at the San Siro.His new deal will see him extend his stay with Milan until 2019, on a salary of £2.5million-a-year.last_img read more


Month: December 2019

first_imgJuventus are preparing an audacious swoop for Arsenal and Manchester United target Edinson Cavani.?The striker has reportedly fallen out with manager Laurent Blanc and could leave Paris Saint-Germain during the current transfer window.Blanc is said to be unhappy with Cavani’s attitude and interested clubs have now been placed on red alert.Juventus, according to L’Equipe, are particularly keen and believe the Uruguayan could be lured to Turin.Arsenal and Manchester United were after the 28-year-old in the summer but their approaches were rebuffed by PSG.Cavani has found the net 13 times this season already and his value is set at over £40m. Edinson Cavani 1last_img read more


Month: December 2019

first_img Liverpool fans show their support at Anfield 1 Liverpool chief executive Ian Ayre has defended the club’s owners Fenway Sports Group ahead of a proposed ticket price protest by suggesting fans should “be careful what they wish for”.Supporters’ groups are planning the first walk-out in Anfield’s 132-year history in the 77th minute of Saturday’s match against Sunderland after a £77 match ticket (up from £59) and a £1,000 season ticket were announced this week.The club have argued the new structure – which includes 45 per cent of match tickets decreasing in price, 64 per cent of season tickets reduced or staying the same in cost, better availability for local fans and around 1,500 £9 tickets for category C games – offers greater accessibility and affordability.Earlier this week fans’ group Spirit of Shankly criticised FSG, the club’s American owners, claiming they refused to respond directly to some of their concerns during the consultation period and SoS and Spion Kop 1906 are now urging supporters to leave their seats in the 77th minute to demonstrate discontent at the price hike.“People should be careful what they wish for,” said Ayre, who spoke to try to allay the fears of fans and presented a case for greater accessibility to an increased-capacity Anfield as a £100million redevelopment of the Main Stand nears completion.“For those of us who were around when we didn’t have these types of owners (referring to the previous dysfunctional regime of Tom Hicks and George Gillett) making these type of decisions the club was in a real mess.“We have great owners – that £100million came interest-free and they don’t take a penny out of this football club.“People should make their own decisions but I feel absolutely we have made the right decision and have everyone’s best interests at heart.”The protest plans are gathering momentum but it remains to be seen how many will actually take direct action on Saturday.Ayre urged those considering walking out to go back and look at the whole ticket package the club was offering.“I respect everyone’s right to do what they think is right but for every fan thinking about that I would say ‘Have a look at the facts’,” he added.“You might be walking out for something you are not quite understanding.“If people want to leave after 77 minutes that is disappointing but it shouldn’t be because they feel the prices are wrong as there is something for everyone in there.“If someone who sits in a certain position where there is a £77 ticket next season but can’t afford it we have another option for them.“No-one is being priced out of the stadium. There is a seat for everyone at the right price.“That is the thing to look at before you take that type of action and walk out.“It can only be damaging to Liverpool if we have got it wrong and someone can define right and wrong in different ways.”The complaint that fans’ groups were merely paid lip service during the consultation period and their views were not listened to was also addressed by Liverpool’s chief executive.“I’d say that is the thing that surprised us the most,” he said.“A lot of clubs don’t engage in the dialogue we have engaged in for nine months, or have a supporters’ committee.“We have listened, but of course we can’t give everyone everything they want.“I have a responsibility as chief executive to run the business and we have to do the right things for our fans and the club and the mix is a really tough one to get right.“Even with the most vociferous of our fans we have said ‘We’ll have to agree to disagree on some things’ but the core of my job is to deliver the most sustainable solution for the club on and off the pitch and I feel we are doing that.”last_img read more


Month: December 2019

first_img1 Championship round-up: Hull return to top, Brighton win fourth consecutive match, Lee Johnson’s Bristol City beat Ipswich Two goals in ten second-half minutes sent Hull back to the top of the league with a 2-0 win at Blackburn.Abel Hernandez scored his 16th goal of the campaign after 53 minutes, before Momo Diame doubled their lead with a tap in from close range.In-form Sheffield Wednesday bolstered their play-off hopes with a 4-0 victory over ten-man Brentford at Hillsborough.The Bees’ Yoann Barbet was dismissed after just five minutes for a challenge on Gary Hooper and then the Owls capitalised on the man advantage.They took in a three-goal lead at the break, thanks to goals from Fernando Forestieri, Hooper and Kieran Lee. Lucas Joao then netted in the final minute to seal a comfortable victory.Brighton held off a Bolton comeback to stay fourth after a 3-2 win.The Seagulls led 2-0 through Jamie Murphy and Tomer Hemed before the Wanderers scored twice to draw level, Emile Heskey and Jay Spearing scoring for the financially-stricken visitors.Beram Kayal put the hosts back in front shortly before the hour mark as Chris Hughton’s men won their fourth consecutive match.Lee Johnson won his first match in charge of Bristol City – a 2-1 scoreline at home to Ipswich.Aden Flint netted a quick first-half double before former Robins forward Brett Pittman pulled one back for the Tractor Boys, but the home side held on at Ashton Gate.There were valuable away wins for Preston and MK Dons at Wolves and Derby respectively.Paul Gallagher and Adam Reach gave Preston a 2-0 lead and January signing Joe Mason pulled one back for Wolves but Simon Grayson’s men saw out the win.Derby, meanwhile, started life after Paul Clement with a home defeat to Karl Robinson’s Dons, Jake Forster-Caskey grabbing the late winner.Nottingham Forest are normally strong at home but David Wagner’s Huddersfield left the City Ground 2-0 winners, thanks to a Matt Mills own goal and Philip Billing late on.Promotion-chasers Burnley were held to a goalless draw at Reading, with Birmingham drawing with the same scoreline at ten-man Rotherham – who had Neil Warnock in charge.And finally, Sammy Ameobi was shown his second yellow card in added time as Cardiff drew at Charlton.Earlier today, Fulham were 3-1 winners at QPR, as Slavisa Jokanovic claimed his first three points as Cottagers bossResults in full:Blackburn 0 – 2 HullSheff Wed 4 – 0 BrentfordBrighton 3 – 2 BoltonBristol City 2 – 1 IpswichDerby 0-1 MK DonsWolves 1-2 PrestonNottm Forest 0 – 2 HuddersfieldCharlton 0 – 0 CardiffReading 0 – 0 BurnleyRotherham 0 – 0 BirminghamWolves 0 – 2 Prestonlast_img read more


Month: December 2019

first_img1 Sporting Lisbon star Islam Slimani Everton are ready to splash £23m on Sporting Lisbon star Islam Slimani.The striker has been in stunning form so far this season, finding the net 22 times in 34 appearances.Everton tried to do a deal for the Algerian during the January transfer window, but their approach was rebuffed by Sporting.However, according to O Jogo, the Toffees are now ready to return for Slimani this summer.Scouts from Merseyside have been watching the 27-year-old in recents weeks and they have returned with glowing reports.New owner Farhad Moshiri has reportedly provided funds for a summer spending spree and £23m of that will be spent on Slimani.last_img read more


Month: December 2019

first_imgATHENS, Greece – Greek sprinter Katerina Thanou distanced herself Monday from her former lawyer, who has said Thanou deserved an Olympic gold medal won by Marion Jones. Thanou won the silver behind Jones in the 100 meters at the 2000 Sydney Games, and Jones admitted last week that she was using banned substances at the time. Lawyer Michalis Dimitrakopoulos “had no authorization or right to speak on her behalf, and his statements do not reflect the views of Ms. Thanou,” lawyer Grigoris Ioannides said in a statement. Dimitrakopoulos represented Thanou and Kostas Kenteris during the 2004 Olympics. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas City“The statement I made reflected my personal opinion – not that of Ms. Thanou – and that remains my personal opinion,” said Dimitrakopoulos, adding he has not represented Thanou since 2004. Thanou and Kenteris also have been tainted by doping allegations. They missed the 2004 Athens Olympics after failing to appear for a doping test on the eve of the games, and both served two-year bans. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more


Month: December 2019

first_imgVAN NUYS – Authorities today identified the man who died in an apartment fire as Piero Peraza, 28. He was the nephew of a tenant at the apartment building when fire swept through a third-story corner unit, witnesses and fire officials said. The fire started about 5:45 p.m. at the building at 8070 Langdon Ave. after witnesses heard an explosion and saw people fleeing the building. Fire officials said a male body was taken from the unit after the blaze was put out. Officials did not release the identity of the victim. One of the building managers, Robert Simpson, 35, said he grabbed a fire extinguisher and ran into the apartment but decided to fight the blaze from the roof. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Then Simpson said he heard the tenant screaming, “My nephew is in there, my nephew is in there,” so he climbed back down and entered the burning apartment again. “It was pitch black. I was lying on the ground (trying to find the nephew) and I could barely see,” Simpson said, adding he could not go farther into the apartment because of smoke and flames. He said the Los Angeles Fire Department arrived at that time and put out the blaze in 15 minutes. The fire, whose cause was being investigated, appeared to be mostly contained to the single unit. Los Angeles Arson Investigator Rick Chew siad that Peraza had a history of drug use and was possibly suicidal. Capt. James Miller, of the Los Angeles Police Department told reporters that Peraza might have been trying to smoke narcotics when the fire broke out. But no definitive cause has been established.last_img read more