Category: sibpgppg

Category: sibpgppg

first_imgBARCELONA, Spain (AP):Lionel Messi scored with an unstoppable free kick to help Barcelona come from behind to beat Sevilla 2-1 yesterday, a record-equalling 34th game without loss that kept the champions on track to retain their Spanish league title.Sevilla’s Victor “Vitolo” Machin struck first for the visitors in the 20th minute, but Messi curled home his free kick 11 minutes later before Gerard Pique put Barcelona ahead just after half-time.Barcelona equalled Madrid’s record unbeaten streak in all competitions from 1988-89. Barcelona’s last loss in any competition was at Sevilla on October 3.”The record means nothing to me,” said Barcelona coach Luis Enrique. “If we win the title, fine, but, if not, then it means nothing to me.”Luis Enrique’s team is certainly on course to win the league. In fact, they have a chance to repeat their rare treble of league, cup and Champions League trophies from last year.Barcelona’s 10th consecutive Liga win maintained their eight-point lead over second-place Atletico Madrid. Third-place Real Madrid, which lost 1-0 to Atletico on Saturday, fell 12 points behind the pacesetters with 12 rounds to go.Sevilla, which remained dangerous until the final whistle, slipped down to sixth place. Unai Emery’s team will have the opportunity to avenge the defeat when they meet Barcelona in the Copa del Rey final on May 22.”It’s tough for a defeat to strengthen you,” Emery said. “To beat Barca, you have to find that extra something because we are probably talking about the best team in the world.”Elsewhere Sunday, Villarreal eased to a 3-0 win over 10-man Levante to cement their hold on fourth place, while Athletic Bilbao won 3-0 at Valencia in a preview of their Europa League round-of-16 clash.last_img read more


Category: sibpgppg

first_imgThe United Methodist University (UMU) will today April 21, hold its 11th Commencement Convocation with 551 students graduating.The program, which starts at 11: 00 A.M., will be held at the Unity Conference Center in Virginia, outside Monrovia.Former Chief Justice and current chair of the Constitution Review Committee (CRC), Cllr. Gloria Musu-Scott will serve as the Convocation speaker.A statement released by the UMU administration late yesterday said during the ceremony, 551 students who have successfully completed various academic programs offered by the seven colleges will be awarded degrees in their respective courses.The 2013/2014 Convocation will witness the awarding of “Certificates of Distinction” to four recent graduates of the university’s Winifred J. Harley College of Health Sciences. The four students made 100 percent pass in the National State Board Examination administered by the Liberia Board for Nursing and Midwifery. The UMU is owned and operated by the Methodist Church of Liberia, and became a chartered institution in 1998. It is currently headed by Rev/Dr. John G. Innis, Bishop of the United Methodist Church, and chairman of the Board of Directors.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more


Category: sibpgppg

first_img…for BV teen’s murderAs investigations continue into the ghastly murder of 18-year-old Qualfon receptionist Raynelle Benfield, the five suspects, including her boyfriend, remain in custody. This was confirmed by Police in C Division (East Coast Demerara) late Tuesday who indicated that all avenues were being pursued even as the suspects were still being held.Dead: Raynelle BenfieldInvestigators are working on the theory that the teen might have been sexually assaulted before her face was bashed in with a heavy object, believed to be a stone. The teen’s relatives were on Monday questioned by investigators about her social life and acquaintances which prompted ranks to visit the homes of several young men in the area. According to reports reaching Guyana Times, the boyfriend, a suspected gang member, had dated a female relative of Benfield in the recent past and a falling out had occurred over this issue.Benfield, of Lot 99 Canterbury Walk, Beterverwagting, East Coast Demerara, was discovered in a nearby Muslim cemetery around 07:00h Monday with her face completely disfigured. It is believed that Benfield was sexually assaulted as her hands were resting on her chest while the pair of jeans she was wearing was pulled to her knees.This newspaper was told that the teen left home on Saturday morning for work and after she did not return home that evening, her relatives were under the impression that she was working overtime. They, however, received a call informing them that her body was found in the cemetery. Her colleagues stated that they last saw her around 18:00h on Saturday.The death of the young woman follows a recent string of homicides of young females. Earlier this month, a guard confessed to killing 23-year-old waitress Marrisa Fraser, whose partially nude body was discovered a short distance from a pool of blood, in a canal at Number Five Village, West Coast Berbice.Additionally, 47-year-old taxi driver Matthew Munroe was arraigned this month for allegedly killing Richard Ishmael school teacher Kescia Branche, who was discovered in an unconscious state on the morning of November 5 in the vicinity of Princes Street and Louisa Row, Georgetown. A post-mortem conducted showed that Branche died of haemorrhaging due to blunt trauma to the head. (Shemuel Fanfair)last_img read more


Category: sibpgppg

first_img…as Party proposes possible Dec 2019 electionsAfter credible advice, the Working People’s Alliance has admitted that General and Regional Elections could be facilitated this same year if the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) upholds its timelines.Attorney-at-LawAnil NandlallThis is according to Executive Member, Dr David Hinds on Friday who stated, “If GECOM stays to its timeline of three months and finish the House-t-House [Registration] in October and then you have Claims and Objections and those things, we think that reasonably, elections as a compromise could be held in December”.The Opposition had stated that Government’s support of the national registration exercise was due to the fact that it will delay the elections by several months. As such, Hinds insisted that these claims will be proven factual if elections are indeed not held this year.“We in the WPA think that if you go into next year, then you’re inviting yourself…to the charge of delaying tactics. We think that if we go along with that timeline, we think that a December election would be in order.”Part and parcelIn response to Hind’s utterances, former Attorney General and Opposition MP, Anil Nandlall said that the WPA is part and parcel of the Government and, therefore, part and parcel of the unit that is intent on disobeying the Constitution.“Therefore one ought not to be surprised that the WPA would hold such a position. The truth of the matter is that the No-Confidence Motion was passed since December 21, 2018, and the Constitution clearly says that elections must be held within 3 months thereafter. Whatever perpetuation one may wish to use, the fact is that as I speak, elections are due. The duty of GECOM is to ensure that they are ready to deliver an election within the earliest possible time,” he said.WPA Executive Member, Dr David HindsNandlall referenced Wednesday’s rulings by Chief Justice Roxane George, who said that names cannot be removed from the National Register of Registrants. In this regard, he noted that the House-to-House Registration process is plagued with problems and that the voters’ list could easily be refreshed by the Claims and Objections exercise.“Clearly it means that elections should be held at the earliest possible time and the mechanism that can facilitate those elections at the earliest is the one that can, should be used and that mechanism is the use of the last list refreshed with the Claims and Objections,” Nandlall noted.Just last month, Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo informed that the ongoing registration is likely to run into the first quarter of 2020, which is way beyond the time to host General and Regional Elections so stipulated by the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ).This, he noted, is according to a work plan of the elections body which was created some time ago. Despite objections from the Opposition and other stakeholders, GECOM went ahead and started fresh registration and the Commission said the exercise will last some three months.The Opposition Leader shared the two-page document which detailed a list of activities to be done leading up to and during this exercise and the number of days for each activity. He pointed out that the work plan contained a 290-day period for the registration exercise, which would run until February 2020, thus, further delaying the early elections constitutionally due on or before September 18, 2019.According to Jagdeo, GECOM would spend close to six months to get a voters’ list, when there is already one available that can be sanitised through an extended Claims and Objections period.After delivering it’s ruling on June 18, 2019, the Caribbean Court of Justice then proceeded to issue the consequential orders stipulating that the Cabinet must resign and call elections in keeping with the constitutional deadline, that is, three months.Since this deadline had already elapsed from the passage of the No-Confidence Motion on December 21, the countdown commenced on June 18, which puts an end to the deadline on September 18 of this year.last_img read more


Category: sibpgppg

first_img160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The events show that the administration felt constrained in its dealings with China because of its view that it had little leverage to stop an important Chinese military program, and because it did not want to let Beijing know how much the United States knew about its space launching activities. “We did get warning that the test was being prepared,” said an official, who described the administration’s thinking in deciding not to ask the Chinese to cancel the test. “I think it is fair to say that nobody knows whether the Chinese would have deferred or canceled the test,” the official added. “The principals’ best judgment, including the leadership of the intelligence community, was that they were committed to testing the anti-satellite weapon.” But some experts outside government say that American officials might have been able to dissuade the Chinese from launching the anti-satellite weapon had the officials been willing to enter into a broader discussion of ways to regulate military competition in space. China had long advocated an agreement to ban weapons in space, an approach the Bush administration has rejected in order to maintain maximum flexibility for developing anti-missile defenses. “Had the United States been willing to discuss the military use of space with the Chinese in Geneva, that might have been enough to dissuade them from going through with it,” said Jeffrey G. Lewis, an arms control expert at the New America Foundation. WASHINGTON – After a Chinese interceptor smashed into a target satellite in January, Bush administration officials criticized the test as a destabilizing development. It was the first successful demonstration of an anti-satellite missile by any country in more than 20 years. Pentagon officials warned that the test had increased the threat to American satellites. Space experts fretted that it had spawned a cloud of orbiting debris. American diplomats complained to their counterparts in Beijing. What administration officials did not say is that as the Chinese were preparing to launch their anti-satellite weapon, American intelligence agencies had received reports about the preparations being made at the Songlin test facility in southern China. In high-level discussions, senior Bush administration officials debated how to respond and even began to draft a protest, but ultimately decided to say nothing to Beijing until after the test. Three months after the Chinese launching, a new debate has developed as to whether the administration properly handled the episode or missed an opportunity to discourage the Chinese military from crossing a new military threshold. last_img read more


Category: sibpgppg

first_img1 Manchester City striker Wilfried Bony has confirmed that he did contract malaria in the summer.Bony was absent from City’s pre-season tour of Australia and Vietnam and, at the time, the club did not reveal the full reason, other than to say that it was due to illness. The former Swansea City forward has now explained that it was a battle with malaria that meant he could not travel with the squad.Manager Manuel Pellegrini mentioned it in a press conference this week, as he spoke about Bony’s various injury and illness problems, and the 26-year-old has spoken about his condition.He said: “I got malaria from Africa when I was coming back but I am okay now.”Bony was speaking after scoring twice in the Barclays Premier League leaders’ 5-1 win over Bournemouth at the Etihad Stadium.It was a welcome return to form for the forward having struggled to make an impact since his £25million move from Swansea in January.Bony’s debut was first delayed by his involvement in the African Nations Cup and he has since also been hampered by injuries.He now intends to make up for lost time.He said: “I feel I have turned the corner. I have had a lot of injuries and been sick, and feel that is all away from me now.“I just want to do my job, do my best in training and score when I get my chance in the match. Every striker is happy when he scores, especially when the team wins.” Manchester City striker Wilfried Bony reveals contracting malaria in the summer last_img read more


Category: sibpgppg

first_img1 Riccardo Montolivo Liverpool and Tottenham target Riccardo Montolivo is ready to end talk of a move away from AC Milan by signing a new deal.The midfielder has been linked with the Premier League duo in the past and there was talk they may reignite their interest this January.The Italian’s agent, Giovanni Branchini, revealed after the summer transfer window that clubs had been in for his client but all offers were rejected.And now, according to Calciomercato, Montolivo is ready to fully commit his future to Milan by signing a new contract.The 30-year-old has been captain of the club since the summer of 2013 and is reportedly very settled at the San Siro.His new deal will see him extend his stay with Milan until 2019, on a salary of £2.5million-a-year.last_img read more


Category: sibpgppg

first_img1 Sporting Lisbon star Islam Slimani Everton are ready to splash £23m on Sporting Lisbon star Islam Slimani.The striker has been in stunning form so far this season, finding the net 22 times in 34 appearances.Everton tried to do a deal for the Algerian during the January transfer window, but their approach was rebuffed by Sporting.However, according to O Jogo, the Toffees are now ready to return for Slimani this summer.Scouts from Merseyside have been watching the 27-year-old in recents weeks and they have returned with glowing reports.New owner Farhad Moshiri has reportedly provided funds for a summer spending spree and £23m of that will be spent on Slimani.last_img read more


Category: sibpgppg

first_imgFireworks explode above the pier in Dunfanaghy last night. ALL PICS BY PAUL McGLINCHEY.There was a spectacular fireworks display above the seaside village of Dunfanaghy last night.There will be many more across the county tonight to celebrate Halloween.However, people are asked to exercise extreme caution around fireworks. DUNFANAGHY STAGES SPECTACULAR FIREWORKS DISPLAY – PIC SPECIAL was last modified: October 31st, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalDunfanaghyfireworks displaylast_img read more


Category: sibpgppg

first_imgA RAMELTON man whose car was swerving from side to side said he had been “drinking all day” when stopped by gardai.Letterkenny District Court heard evidence against John Crossan of 19 Chestnut Grove, Ramelton. Inspector Shaun Grant outlined that on December 16, 2014, gardai were on duty in Letterkenny when their attention was drawn to the defendant’s manner of driving at 3am. Crossan was pulled over and later provided gardai with a breath specimen which read 61mg of alcohol per 100ml of breath.Solicitor for the defendant, Kieran Dillon, told the court that his client was “up front with gardai and told them he had been drinking all day in the Central”.He added that his 33-year-old client is a father of two and receives Disability Benefit.Having heard the evidence, Judge Kelly imposed a fine of €200 and disqualified the defendant from driving for a period of two years.Man had been ‘drinking all day’ when stopped by gardai was last modified: September 7th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:courtdrinkGardaiJohn CrossanRameltonlast_img read more