Busy Night for City Council: Special Improvement District Budget; Boardwalk Performers; and OCHS Field…

Tag: 上海后花园

first_imgTeacher Carrie Merritt helps her first-grade students learn coding on an iPad. By Donald WittkowskiAfter several meeting with light agendas, City Council had a full docket this week.Having previously wrestled with the boardwalk performers issue two other times, Ocean City is making a third attempt to manage crowd safety and street performers on the Boardwalk.  All while preserving  the entertainment value that they bring and their right to express themselves.City Council introduced an ordinance Thursday night that designates special areas of the Boardwalk where the performers would be allowed to entertain crowds. In the past, the city had considered confining them to a much smaller section of the Boardwalk, between Fifth and Sixth streets, that was dubbed “performers alley.”City Solicitor Dorothy McCrosson said regulations are needed to control a significant increase in the number of performers in recent years. In the past, Boardwalk business owners have complained that large crowds milling around the performers blocked access to their stores.McCrosson noted that Mayor Jay Gillian’s administration has collaborated with the Boardwalk Merchants Association on a plan that would avoid conflicts between local businesses and the performers.Wes Kazmarck, President of the Boardwalk Merchants Association, told Council that he believes the ordinance is a “very good compromise.”“It’s kind of a win for both sides,” Kazmarck said.Speaking to Council, the mayor stressed that the proposed ordinance is not an attempt to keep street performers off the Boardwalk. He said the city is simply trying to balance the rights of the business owners and the performers “to make it fair for everyone.”“We’re not going to punish the kids. We’re going to work with the kids,” Gillian said of young performers. He later added, “This is not going to be a deterrent.”Gillian indicated there could be revisions to the ordinance when it comes up for a public hearing and final Council vote on Dec. 29. He said the city would take its time in crafting a final plan.In the meantime, he encouraged members of the public to contact the city’s community services director, Michael Allegretto, to discuss any concerns they might have with the plan.“It will be a fair and honorable agreement by the time we vote on it again,” Gillian said.Andrew Leonetti, left, and Ricky Hardin, who both play in the same band, object to the proposed ordinance that would regulate Boardwalk performers.Earlier this year,  Gillian yanked another ordinance that would have regulated Boardwalk performers. He expressed fear then that it might cause financial harm to some of the younger street performers who live in town. The city also considered passing an ordinance in 2013 to regulate Boardwalk performers, but that measure was tabled.Two Boardwalk performers who play in the same band appeared before Council on Thursday night to oppose the new ordinance. Earlier in the year, they had complained about the first version of the ordinance, and were instrumental in getting the mayor to withdraw it.Andrew Leonetti and Ricky Hardin, both 15-year-old sophomores at Ocean City High School, said they were surprised to learn that the city is making another attempt to regulate Boardwalk performers.“I’m not trying to get on you, but it’s still affecting the youth,” Hardin said of the new ordinance in remarks that were directed at the mayor.Leonetti’s mother and Hardin’s parents also questioned the ordinance. They said they saw no need to charge young performers a licensing fee. They also objected to a provision that would require Boardwalk performers to undergo fingerprinting and criminal background checks. But city officials assured them that only adults would be fingerprinted, not juveniles.The ordinance would require performers to pay $50 for a license. In addition, they would also be charged a $25 administrative fee to pay for the cost of fingerprinting and background checks. Performers under 18 years old would not be fingerprinted, McCrosson said.Anyone with a criminal history of “dishonesty” or a fourth-degree crime or higher would be barred from having a performer’s license, according to the ordinance.Reading from a statement, McCrosson said the proposed regulations would allow the performers to entertain “in a safe and orderly manner, without interfering with each other, and without inhibiting pedestrian traffic or changing the family-friendly character” of the Boardwalk.“The number of these artists on the Ocean City Boardwalk has increased significantly in recent years,” she said. “The administration appreciates their contribution to the Boardwalk atmosphere and has a significant interest in ensuring that their right to perform does not infringe upon the public’s right to traverse and enjoy the Boardwalk.”Under the ordinance, performers would be allowed on the ocean side of the Boardwalk at Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th streets.They could also perform at the Boardwalk’s oceanfront pavilions located between Fifth and 14th streets. In addition, they would be allowed on the ocean side of the Boardwalk between Fifth and Sixth streets.In other business Thursday, Council introduced a $516,313 budget to pay for publicity and special events in the city’s Special Improvement District. The SID includes the Boardwalk, the Asbury Avenue section of the downtown business district and the Ninth Street corridor.A special tax finances the SID. Family-friendly events such as Easter egg hunts, the fall fireworks, Mummers Nights and Family Nights are funded by the SID.Also Thursday, Council honored the state championship Ocean City High School girls field hockey team. Players on the team joined their coach, Cory Terry, in the Council Chambers to pose for pictures and receive a city proclamation lauding their achievements.“Ocean City field hockey has a lot of traditions. Winning is one of them,” Council Vice President Tony Wilson said.Terry and three players thanked city officials and the community for their support. Terry said the communitywide backing made the entire experience of winning the state championship “unbelievable.”“It’s an honor to teach and coach in this community,” she said.Council Vice President Tony Wilson reads a city proclamation in honor of the state championship Ocean City High School field hockey team.last_img read more


Tag: 上海后花园

first_imgGreensky Bluegrass has been hitting the festival circuit hard for many years, but now the group is stepping into a new role: festival organizers. The Michigan-based bluegrass outfit just announced the dates for their inaugural Camp Greensky Music Festival, which is slated to take place somewhere in their home state from May 31st to June 2nd.It’s safe to say that the band will be performing at its own festival, though that’s pretty much all we can tell you. As of press time, the only details out there come from an image posted to their social media accounts and a bare bones website that features little in the way of information. Still, we know the 12,000+ members of the band’s “Camp Greensky” Facebook fan group have to be stoked that their digital gathering place is about to manifest itself in real life.We’ll let you know as soon as we have more details about this exciting development. Until then, fans will have to settle for more concrete news like Greensky Bluegrass’ recently-announced performances at SweetWater 420 Fest, Northwest String Summit, Summer Camp Music Festival, and Telluride Bluegrass.[Photo: Chad Anderson]last_img read more


Tag: 上海后花园

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisALPENA, Mich – A local mom did not let the COVID–19 pandemic and quarantining stop her from planning one of the happiest moments for her daughterFire trucks, police and paramedics drove down Tawas Street yesterday evening to wish 13–year-old Myley Harrell a happy birthday.one paramedic even gave her a shout out.Family and friends joined in tossing candy, cards, and chocolates out of their car windows.Myley’s mom Brittany said it was challenging to organize this surprise in a quarantined house. but it was worth it for her daughter who lost a close cousin just two months ago.“She really needed this. It’s been a tough year for our whole family,” said Brittany.Despite the loss of her cousin and having to quarantine, Myley said this birthday was the best.  These were also her mom’s sentiments.Brittany fought back tears but finally let them go when she hugged her daughter but finally had to let them go when she and Myley hugged.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious Alpena Downtown Development Authority to host virtual shopping eventNext Huron Pines works on East Branch Black Riverlast_img read more


Tag: 上海后花园

first_imgJusuf Nurkic entered the history of the NBA League last night. In the victory of Portland over Sacramento, with the result 113: 108, this Bosnian has achieved an effect that no one has been able to before.The match that was decided after the extra time, Nurkic finished with 24 points, captured 23 rebounds, and this is his record, with 7 assists, stole 5 balls and did 5 blocks.With this, Nurkic achieved the best 5×5 effect (at least 5 points, rebounds, assists, stolen balls and bloks).In history, this only happened 20 times, and this achievement was made by Nurkic and 13 other players. The best so far with 5×5 effect was Julius Earving who in 1976 scored 31 points, 19 rebounds and 5 assists, stolen balls and blockades, and Nurkic was the first to score 5×5 with 20 points and more.Jusuf Nurkic (born August 23, 1994) is a Bosnian professional basketball player for the Portland Trail Blazers of the National Basketball Association (NBA). Standing at 7 ft 0 in (2.13 m) tall and weighing 280 lb (127 kg) the center was selected by the Chicago Bulls with the 16th overall pick in the 2014 NBA draft. He also represents the Bosnia and Herzegovina national team internationally.last_img read more


Tag: 上海后花园

first_imgBy John BurtonRED BANK — Expect discussions on the construction of a parking garage in downtown Red Bank to come up again at borough council meetings in the near future, says Mayor Pasquale Menna.Business owners and developers are already expressing interest in a parking garage after a lull brought on by a series of economically difficult years.Given that interest, Menna said, the time might be right to start talking about a public/private collaboration to fund the constsruction of a parking deck at the White Street municipal parking lot.“I think in the next few months there will be some action by the [borough] council on a number of comprehensive garage, parking/public use initiatives,” he said.Red Bank RiverCenter has been talking with “people who may be interested,” in pursuing this, the mayor said, but declined to name the interested parties.Any such partnership would include some stipulations, Menna said, including that the garage would be a revenue generator for the municipality; that resident taxpayers wouldn’t pay for the facility’s construction; and that, in addition to containing parking stalls, the garage would have some additional public use.“It’s got to be a creative use and we’re open to suggestions,” he said.One other condition, Menna attached: “It can’t be a big box with a housing element on top.”The shortfall in parking spaces has long been a problem for elected officials and local businesses and at times has become a heated political issue. More than a decade ago, then Mayor Edward J. McKenna Jr. and some of his Democratic borough council colleagues proposed bonding for $11 million dollars to construct a municipally owned and operated parking deck at the White Street lot. The downtown business alliance, Red Bank RiverCenter, strongly supported the project and McKenna argued that the garage would help not only the businesses, but the whole community.Republican candidates for municipal office waged a successful campaign encouraging residents to voice objections to their tax dollars being used for the project.Menna, a Democrat, at that time eventually said he would vote against it, and with the others opposed, the bond ordinance was withdrawn.Since then RiverCenter and members of the downtown business community have continued to advocate for a parking garage as a way of keeping commercial activity alive in Red Bank.New proposals have been discussed, including those that would contain retail or housing components; but none of them have moved beyond the discussion stage.Now, Menna believes, business and constsruction projects are moving forward again and the time has come to revisit the idea of a parking garage.“It’s very easy to put up a parking meter and collect a fee on the parking stall,” he said, explaining his reasoning. “But is that the most creative and the best use for the taxpayers who need relief?”Menna declined to be nailed down as to when these proposals would become public. But he did hint that there would be other significant news about forthcoming businesses. “And they will be extraordinary for the municipality, in terms of people who are going to move in to work in town,” he said.last_img read more




Tag: 上海后花园

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Valencia coach Marcelino: Will sacking me make a difference?by Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveValencia coach Marcelino was relieved to overcome Huesca.Marcelino went into the game under pressure.”Is it always the coach’s problem at Valencia in recent years?” he asked reporters, in what could be perceived as a challenge to their line of questioning.”The change of coach always changed things on the pitch?”The club will make the decisions it deems appropriate if it considers that the work of the coaching staff is not adequate, and we will accept it.”We are the same in victory and defeat, the team is not broken, it may have doubts, but it isn’t broken.”The reaction of wanting to keep going until after the ninety minutes is what it is.”If you decide to dispense with the coaching staff you should not differentiate because of a goal in injury time or not.” last_img read more


Tag: 上海后花园

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Chelsea boss Sarri: We need balance in January transfer windowby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveMaurizio Sarri has admitted Chelsea will need to cull their squad in January, and hinted about the position of any new arrivals.The Blues suffered a shock defeat to Leicester City at home on Saturday.Cesc Fabregas made a rare appearance in the Premier League as a substitute and Sarri suggested this was because of the excessive size of his squad.”At the moment we are too many. We have 28 players and it’s impossible to use all of them. I think 25 is the right number,” the Italian said.”We have a lot of offensive midfielders and we have only [N’Golo] Kante as a defensive midfielder, so it’s not easy now for the midfield to have the right balance.” last_img read more


Tag: 上海后花园

first_imgPieces of unstripped copper wire and heavy equipment tools, including bolt cutters and power tools, were found in a vehicle.Brian Tanner, who is 43, and Jonathan Paul, who is 38, face various break and enter charges.Tanner is also charged with breach of recognizance and possession of a controlled substance. CALGARY, A.B. – Two Calgary men face multiple charges after thefts of copper wire and tools at several rural oilwell sites.Police say about $300,000 in damage was caused by thieves who cut the wire out of buildings.The Calgary Police Service says it worked with RCMP to track, locate and arrest two suspects.last_img read more


Recent Comments